4-H Presentations / Public Speaking
Welcome to New Hanover County 4-H Presentations!
Public speaking is one of the most important tools to have as an adult which is why local 4-H kids work on it when they’re young.
There are over 30 categories for the youth to select as their topic, including an open class for subjects that do not fit into a category. Youth are normally given a topic for presentations in school, so this gives them a chance to learn more about something they find exciting. We encourage participants to choose a topic they are passionate about and want to share with others.
Previous presentations were wildlife, manga artwork, how to set up a fish aquarium, healthy lifestyles, edible cookie dough, and archery.
Presentation/Public Speaking Resources
- 4-H Presentation Online Registration 2019
- 4-H Presentation Program – Presentations At-A-Glance Guide 2019
- 4-H Presentation & Talent Show Work Sessions & Practice Sessions 2019
- 4-H Presentations – Youtube Video Example #1
- 4-H Presentations – Youtube Video Example #2
- 4-H Presentation Competition
Age Categories & Time Limits
|Cloverbuds (5-7 years old)*||5-7 minutes|
|8-10 years old||5-12 minutes|
|11-13 years old||5-12 minutes|
|14-18 years old||5-12 minutes|
* North Carolina 4-H and NC State Extension has a no competition rules for
5-7 year old’s. Best program practices for youth ages 5-7 do not involve peer-to-peer competition. Peer-to-peer competition is defined as “head-to-head” absolute of youths 5-7.
Presentation Dates – 2019
- County Activity Day (CAD); Tuesday, May 7, 2019 (4-6 p.m.)
Location: N.C. Cooperative Extension of New Hanover County office (Education Building)
- District Activity Day (DAD); Friday, June 21, 2019 (9 a.m.–4 p.m.)
Location: Craven Community College – 800 College Ct. New Bern, NC 28562
- NC 4-H Congress/FINALS; Saturday, July 20, 2019 (8 a.m.–4 p.m.)
Location: NC State University, Raleigh, NC