4-H Youth Development Program – New Hanover
Welcome to New Hanover County 4-H
4-H is the youth program of Cooperative Extension for children ages 5-18. 4-H clubs offer long-term involvement and focus on a variety of different topics. Clubs are led by volunteer leaders and meet at different times and locations around the county. There are also school classroom programs, after-school programs, and summer enrichment programs offered through 4-H. 4-H offers quality educational programs and activities at low or no cost because we are a service provided by local and state government. Many 4-H programs focus on STEM, Healthy Living, and Leadership.
Program vision: Offer a multi-faceted 4-H program that supports the involvement of youth in long-term meaningful 4-H clubs and programs, enabling them to grow into future leaders.
Program mission: Build and support youth programs based on the 8 essential elements of youth development (based on research)
- Positive relationship with a caring adult (supporting volunteer club leaders)
- Inclusive Environment (reaching out to all families)
- Safe emotional and physical environment (safety/liability)
- Opportunity for mastery (helping kids feel like they do something well)
- Engagement in learning (hands-on learning)
- Opportunity to see oneself as an active participant in the future (goal setting)
- Opportunity for self-determination (lot of different options and topics to explore)
- Opportunity to value and practice service to others (community service/leadership)
4-H has so many opportunities right outside your door make new friends take great trips to new places learn about cool new things get involved in your community and help your neighbors earn awards and recognition